Monday, April 29, 2013

Mexican Casserole




Last week I bought some corn tortillas (again) with a WIC voucher. The last time I bought them I just used them for a small soft taco...the same way that I use the flour ones. Thing is...they didn't really appeal to my taste buds with the corn tortilla. Now anybody who knows anything about the WIC program knows that the food on the vouchers is healthy food, which may not taste all that great in the beginning. 

So when I bought a pack for the 2nd time, I was determined to use them in a way that my entire family could appreciate. So I googled (I'm the queen of google) recipes that use corn tortillas. The common theme was casseroles and enchiladas. So I decided to go with a casserole. I tried to find a recipe that looked fast and easy. I also wanted to go with a recipe where I had all or most of the ingredients or could easily substitute or omit ingredients. 

Here's the recipe that I used as a base recipe to get me started....

Now here's what I actually did....

Ingredients
1 pound of ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
3 teaspoons of cumin
1 can of whole kernel corn 
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 (15 oz.) can of tomato sauce, reserve about 1/4 cup of it
mild cheddar cheese, shredded
gouda cheese, shredded
7 or 8 corn tortillas (the small ones)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cooking spray into a rectangular shaped baking dish. 

2. Cook the ground turkey and chopped onion in a large skillet or dutch oven until the meat is browned. You also want to season the meat with some salt and pepper. Drain (if desired). *I didn't drain mine. If you use ground beef or chuck, you may want to drain some or all of the fatty grease.*

3. Remove the meat from the heat. Add the cumin and taco seasoning. Stir until well combined. Add the tomatio sauce....not the 1/4 cup reserved amount, but the larger portion. Stir until well combined. Drain the liquid off of the corn, then add the corn to the pot. Stir until well combined. Put the pot back on the heat. 

4. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking. Then reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. 

5. While the meat mixture is cooking, layer some of the tortillas into the bottom of the baking dish. You may want to cut the ones that go around the edges of the pan to ensure that you cover the entire baking dish. 

6. Once the bottom of the baking dish is covered with tortillas, pour the reserved tomato sauce over them. 

7. When the meat mixture has simmered on low heat for about 5 minutes, scoop some out and put over the tomato sauce in the baking dish. Then cover the meat mixture with cheese. Then do another layer of tortillas. Then do another layer of the meat mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. 

8. Remove the foil and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts. 

Bon appetit!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment